Wednesday 19 November 2008

Picture Book: Now We Are Growing Up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fm6vc/Picture_Book_Now_We_Are_Growing_Up/

We've been recommending this to people on Eat My Drawing but the final episode in the series is actually useful for Graphic Novelists I think, especially towards the end because it talks about how books for children are heading increasingly in that direction (because all kids have no attention span and need constant pictures >.>). One particular example of this is The Savage by a very Geordie writer David Almond and famously comicy Dave Mckean...It looks amazing and Shirley Hughes talks about how this might be the new thing in childrens books...not quite a graphic novel (no speech bubbles...although I wouldn't say graphic novels need them...), not quite a prose book...The art is really great, very cinematic...I'm gonna try and get my grubby mits on a copy!

No comments: